Shoutbox: [15-05] Serbie: Damn  :( rip

General discussion / SFX Entertainment buys 75% of ID&T

sinenV -
http://mediadecoder.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/03/21/sfx-entertainment-buys-major-stake-in-dutch-festival-promoter/

Highlights:

On Thursday, SFX Entertainment will announce that it has bought 75 percent of ID&T, a Dutch festival promoter, for $102 million in cash and stock. The deal, perhaps the biggest in the market so far, will give SFX a major foothold on the global festival circuit as it tries to build a $1 billion media empire centered on dance.
ID&T puts on the annual Tomorrowland festival in Belgium, which last year drew 180,000 people, as well as Sensation, an indoor event held in 20 countries. ID&T already formed a joint venture with SFX to bring a festival to North America, and on Wednesday the two companies revealed the details of that partnership: TomorrowWorld, an event for 150,000 people to be held in Chattahoochee Hills, Ga., from Sept. 27 to 29.

(Why not call the new one Tomorrowland? Disney owns that name in the United States, according to Duncan Stutterheim, one of ID&T’s founders.)
The deal values ID&T at $136 million.
After decades on the cultural margins, dance has taken over the sound of Top 40 radio and drawn huge crowds to festivals around the world — and, in turn, the attention of Wall Street investors.
the attention of Wall Street investors.
(FUCK)
Mr. Stutterheim said in an interview that SFX’s resources would help his festival franchises expand quickly around the world. This year, ID&T events will take place in Brazil, South Africa and perhaps in Kenya, and Mr. Stutterheim said he was looking at various spots in Asia.

So, anyone's thoughts on this?  :showtek:
Delete the topic if mstx feels we shouldn't discuss it here.
dreos1337 [Set Editor] -
Jazeker, de apotheker
Dutch article: http://www.nuzakelijk.nl/ondernemen/3376462/-idt-trots-overname.html

Couldn't care much about it really as I don't attend any of their party's, congrats to them for the sale. Perhaps there are going to be more problems with copyright issues though, as all their music will now fall under US rules..
sinenV -
I don't know about any copyright issues since the most ID&T would have to do is change the name of whatever event name is licensed in the US like Disney's Tomorrowland.
The parts that do worry me the most are exclusivity (TomorrowWorld is a 21+ event, which is complete bullshit since there are so many 18 and 16 events in Europe) and pussification of events due to our silly laws, such as noise ordinances, antsy police, massive traffic jams, and religious nuts shouting that such events are "evil." Imagine in Qlimax came to the US, the evangelists would have a fit.
G-Raver -
I don't have any clue who SFX are. As long as they don't rape the thunderdome license by "reinventing" it in the US I'm probably fine with it but we'll have to see.
DelugeOfSound [Moderator] -
I think this probably means that ID&T will go mainstream.

Oh wait.
Morango -
What is real?
On 23-03-2013 13:57:19, DelugeOfSound wrote:

I think this probably means that ID&T will go mainstream.

Oh wait.

this mean they go mainstream ending Sensation Black the greatest world leading event of hardtrance, hardstyle & hardcore???

Oh wait.
DelugeOfSound [Moderator] -
On 23-03-2013 14:34:09, Morango wrote:

[...]

this mean they go mainstream ending Sensation Black the greatest world leading event of hardtrance, hardstyle & hardcore???

Oh wait.

This might also mean ID&T will turn into moneyhungry douchebags.

Oh wait.
Opperhoofd -
Since 2004 Duncan has been trying to sell ID&T, so this isn't a big surprise.
Jatoch -
Als dat zo was geweest had hij het eerste bod van 100 miljoen niet afgeslagen.
sinenV -
On 23-03-2013 10:16:10, G-Raver wrote:

I don't have any clue who SFX are. As long as they don't rape the thunderdome license by "reinventing" it in the US I'm probably fine with it but we'll have to see.

SFW is a multi-billion dollar corporation in the US, and the owner's always been interested in having a big say in events and clubs, then he brought ID&T to help himself to whatever. Now we'll see ID&T-related events in the US, Canada, South America, possibly even different parts of the world like Africa.
Ironically enough there is a "Thunderdome" event being done at a big club near where I live. No idea who the organizer is besides the predictions that it's related to Hardstyle since Insomniac Entertainment picked up Hardstyle under a new venture starting with their new "Basscon" concept.

Looking at the poster though I think it will have more of the Mad Max movie theme to it than the Thunderdome we know and love  :p
Also, wasn't ID&T sold to some other business sometime in the 2000s?
Gewijzigd door sinenV op 23-03-2013 21:00
dreos1337 [Set Editor] -
Jazeker, de apotheker
On 22-03-2013 01:58:00, sinenV wrote:

I don't know about any copyright issues since the most ID&T would have to do is change the name of whatever event name is licensed in the US like Disney's Tomorrowland.
The parts that do worry me the most are exclusivity (TomorrowWorld is a 21+ event, which is complete bullshit since there are so many 18 and 16 events in Europe) and pussification of events due to our silly laws, such as noise ordinances, antsy police, massive traffic jams, and religious nuts shouting that such events are "evil." Imagine in Qlimax came to the US, the evangelists would have a fit.

I mean their view on copyright issues with music and sets. For example, ID&T asked lsdb to remove thunderdome sets. As SFX is US, bitches will get sued probably.
Knomo -
Why? Because fuck you, thats why
Dance music is going global and ID&T needed to partner up with a big player to be able to compete.
Knomo -
Why? Because fuck you, thats why
On 23-03-2013 15:32:08, Opperhoofd wrote:

Since 2004 Duncan has been trying to sell ID&T, so this isn't a big surprise.

Mag jij Duncan zeggen ja?  ;)