Shoutbox: [14-04] pointlesspoint: Seems like a hack. Can't report that user. Changed my account to https://soundcloud.com/pointlesspointlesspoint for now.

DJ-ing / Producing / DJ Beginner Equipment

McBong [Set Editor] -
Hey guys,
I recently thought about trying DJing for the very first time and I stumbled upon the Pioneer DDJ400 as starting gear.

Maybe some guys here can tell me if this is any good or if not which alternatives there are? As meantioned, I have absolutely no clue yet, so I'd prefer a setup with an easy start.

I just want to do it for fun and record mixes mainly for myself, maybe sometimes spam lsdb with them  :D
pointlesspoint -
Coherent incoherence
In the very very rare occasion i do or rather DID a mix set, so as to be more or less in the same position as you, i used a Hercules dj controller and a Traktor X1 kontroller in the past together with an external soundcard (Audio 8 Dj, probably ancient by now) connected to some main stage set up. That thing is as cheap and plastic as it can be but it worked ok, because i planned munitiously using cues and the occasional long mixing of tracks because i know them well.
I upgraded to a Fireface UCX soundcard and a HD-650 headphones (which is probably too analytical and too detailed to dj, but i like it!...), soon a couple of new monitors.
I actually can't stand loud music for an extended time and i don't have the option to bang it out loud in my home so i don't like a loud mix monitor that's near me. I rather mix mainly in headphones. I suggest you obtain some decent headphones for yourself, which means something more expensive! Listening for some hours in the stores testing headphones, choosing between a 90 degrees jack plug, ... but that's up to you.
I have no experience with other dj controllers, but i can lend a DDJ-SB2 very soon to persuade myself if i need a controller (and bigger) like that.
Best to steer right away from cheap plastic stuff (which i think the controllers on the market in 2020 are not?). The controller should be grounded, a bit heavy, or you will break it easy in all enthusiasm. I think to have an all inclusive dj controller + filter would give you all the possibilities for some years but for the "pure" mixing feeling i think less can be more, start with something so basic to enjoy mixing per se and letting coincidence come into play? You could move on to a controller like the one you linked to munitiously planning mixes with cues, loops, some effects, longer mixing, and expand your mixer/controller/filter to a point where you feel extra add ons are still necessary?
Gewijzigd door pointlesspoint op 17-06-2020 00:18
DelugeOfSound [Moderator] -
On 16-06-2020 14:21:03, McBong wrote:

Hey guys,
I recently thought about trying DJing for the very first time and I stumbled upon the Pioneer DDJ400 as starting gear.

Maybe some guys here can tell me if this is any good or if not which alternatives there are? As meantioned, I have absolutely no clue yet, so I'd prefer a setup with an easy start.

I just want to do it for fun and record mixes mainly for myself, maybe sometimes spam lsdb with them  :D

The 400 is pretty much the go-to starting controller for several reasons:

- It emulates the CDJ enviroment quite well for easy transitioning
- It comes with a rekordbox license
- It has everything you will need on a controller

That said, it's still really small and I hate those small controllers. It's also 2 channel but to be honest 4 channel controllers with 2 jogwheels are terrible anyway in my opinion.
McBong [Set Editor] -
On 19-06-2020 10:50:21, DelugeOfSound wrote:

Hey guys,

That said, it's still really small and I hate those small controllers. It's also 2 channel but to be honest 4 channel controllers with 2 jogwheels are terrible anyway in my opinion.

Thanks alot, thats what I figured. But I wanted someone with more knowledge to have a look at it to be sure.
I prefer the "everything i need in one box" a lot, so I don't end up missing half of the gear/software.

Also thanks pointlesspoint, but honestly your stuff was still too much single devices I'd have to combine and figure out how to control everything.

Also just to be 100% sure:

I imagine mixing with the DDJ400 as this, please correct me if i'm wrong:

I choose songs in rekordbox on my PC and load them on 1 of the channels. After that I mix on the device itself, not on the PC right? Because I don' really want to mix on my PC, then I could use ableton live or stuff like that
DelugeOfSound [Moderator] -
On 19-06-2020 12:07:51, McBong wrote:

Hey guys,

Thanks alot, thats what I figured. But I wanted someone with more knowledge to have a look at it to be sure.
I prefer the "everything i need in one box" a lot, so I don't end up missing half of the gear/software.

Also thanks pointlesspoint, but honestly your stuff was still too much single devices I'd have to combine and figure out how to control everything.

I choose songs in rekordbox on my PC and load them on 1 of the channels. After that I mix on the device itself, not on the PC right? Because I don' really want to mix on my PC, then I could use ableton live or stuff like that

Yes. The DDJ controller 'controls' the software running on your pc/laptop. Your interface is the DDJ, the laptop is just there to run the software. You can do just about everything on the ddj from mixing to picking your tracks etc.
Only thing you'd have to do on the computer is prepping your tunes if you so desire.
McBong [Set Editor] -
On 19-06-2020 13:53:00, DelugeOfSound wrote:

On 19-06-2020 12:07:51, McBong wrote:

Hey guys,

Yes. The DDJ controller 'controls' the software running on your pc/laptop. Your interface is the DDJ, the laptop is just there to run the software. You can do just about everything on the ddj from mixing to picking your tracks etc.
Only thing you'd have to do on the computer is prepping your tunes if you so desire.

Thank you very much, I'll probably buy this one sometime in the near future I guess  8-)
Tha-Rule -
DDJ-400 is a very good starting point,.. If you are sure you want to grow and dedicate time to your DJ-ing,.. Concider the XDJ-RR,.. It's basically a DDJ-400 with the Rekordbox "computer" built in,.. It's a bit pricey so make sure you want to do this for longer than a few months, but it's well worth it,..

From my own experience, I had a Reloop controller with Traktor,. Switched to the DDJ-400 and upgraded that to a XDJ-RX2 when I started playing at venues. The beast grew out even more because I have two vinyl players hooked up to the RX2 now as well,.. If you can see something like that happening for yourself. Consider buying a XDJ,. If you're having doubts, DDJ-400 all the way.
McBong [Set Editor] -
On 29-10-2020 10:06:08, Tha-Rule wrote:

DDJ-400 is a very good starting point,.. If you are sure you want to grow and dedicate time to your DJ-ing,.. Concider the XDJ-RR,.. It's basically a DDJ-400 with the Rekordbox "computer" built in,.. It's a bit pricey so make sure you want to do this for longer than a few months, but it's well worth it,..

From my own experience, I had a Reloop controller with Traktor,. Switched to the DDJ-400 and upgraded that to a XDJ-RX2 when I started playing at venues. The beast grew out even more because I have two vinyl players hooked up to the RX2 now as well,.. If you can see something like that happening for yourself. Consider buying a XDJ,. If you're having doubts, DDJ-400 all the way.

For the foreseeable future this will probably stay a hobby where I can't put so much time in. Basically for doing mixes for myself. So I will get the DDJ-400 I guess, and if its really totally my thing and I want to go deeper I can still upgrade and sell the DDJ-400.

Anyway, thanks for all the input guys
kingmessiah -
I got too much interesting stuff on your blog. I guess I am not the only one having all the enjoyment here! Keep up the good work. LinkedIn
hevavay -
moldavite meaning, Uses, Dangers, Moldavites is of extraterrestrial orgin and contains intense energy Learn how to use it correctly, moldavite dangers, potential dangers, how to spot a fake, and where to buy.
kingmessiah -
Interesting post. I Have Been wondering about this issue. so thanks for posting. Pretty cool post.It 's really very nice and Useful post.Thanks Maven CEO
kingmessiah -
Intriguing post. I Have Been pondering about this issue, so much obliged for posting. Really cool post.It "s truly extremely pleasant and Useful post.Thanks Maven CEO
pustehofyo -
Your blog is too much amazing. I have found with ease what I was looking. Moreover, the content quality is awesome. Thanks for the nudge! Fresh Bros Hemp
hevavay -
I think this is one of the most significant information for me. And i’m glad reading your article. But should remark on some general things, 먹튀검증
pustehofyo -
I know this is one of the most meaningful information for me. And I'm animated reading your article. But should remark on some general things, the website style is perfect; the articles are great. Thanks for the ton of tangible and attainable help. lemon law ca
hevavay -
Our credit repair services work to fix past credit mistakes and verify credit report accuracy. Talk to a credit repair expert today! face mask
pustehofyo -
nice post, keep up with this interesting work. It really is good to know that this topic is being covered also on this web site so cheers for taking time to discuss this! Boutiques Near Me
hevavay -
Our team of investigators are trained to locate, surveil and positively identify people. In difficult cases, we will use nationwide data bases and surveillance techniques to watch day-to-day movements of people. private investigative service
bejeh -
I'm constantly searching on the internet for posts that will help me. Too much is clearly to learn about this. I believe you created good quality items in Functions also. Keep working, congrats! car accident lawyer fresno
dameion -
Thanks for every other informative site. The place else may just I get that kind of information written in such an ideal means? I have a venture that I’m just now operating on, and I have been on the look out for such information. Indoor sauna